Meaningful occupation adds to the value of life. Occupational therapy helps clients live life to the fullest despite any disabilities they might have. Children’s occupational therapy supports normal childhood development and self-esteem in a way that enables participation in school and social situations.
Usually occupational therapy is just one part of rehabilitation and the therapist collaborates with other professionals treating the client (doctors, physiotherapists, psychologists, teachers etc.). Occupational therapy can also be used as the only treatment form.
We can provide occupational therapy at our premises or in the client’s own environment: home, school, kindergarten or institution. Occupational therapy as teletherapy is also possible. Therapy helps people recovering from injury to regain skills / abilities by using an occupation that is personally meaningful and motivating to the client. Therapy can affect the client’s own environment and provide alternative or new habits for functioning in everyday life. Our therapist can assess if the client needs home modifications or assistive devices. Therapeutic occupations may include shopping, dealing with bureaucracy, cooking, self-care, house work, leisure or creative occupations.
Children’s occupational therapy always relates to play and playfulness. In adolescents’ therapy the client’s age and developmental stage are taken into consideration. Occupational therapy helps children gain skills or abilities they need in order to participate fully in school, in recreational activities or in other purposeful occupations. The whole family is always taken into account in children’s occupational therapy.
Occupational therapy methods can include:
- therapy with Bobath approach
- therapy with Affolter approach
- sensorimotor therapy
- therapy to help develop social skills, concentration or attention
- therapy to help participation in daily life occupations
- trying new hobbies in therapy
- planning house modifications based on a client’s individual life situation and health, together with municipal social worker
- assessing the need for assistive devices together with the referring rehabilitation team
- upper-extremity kinesiology taping, splints, electrical stimulation (NEMS and TENS)
Please contact us, if you have questions about occupational therapy.